$(mq) \mod (pq) = q \left[ m \mod p \right]$

Is there a name for the above identity? One would think it is the modular multiplicative identity but searching that gives: $ a b \mod p = (a \mod p) (b \mod p) \mod p$



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.