The space of sections of a bundle $\pi: E \to B$ is commonly denoted $\Gamma(E)$. (Note that the graph of a function $f$ is $\Gamma(f):=\left\{(x,f(x))\right\}$, and a particular section $\sigma: B \to E$ "is" a graph $\left\{(b,\sigma(b)) : b \in B\right\}$; but it is the space of all such objects that is called $\Gamma(E)$. I find this a bit confusing, etymologically.) If knowable, what is the reason for this letter (and where and by whom was this notation introduced)?



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.